Resultat 1 till 6 av 6

Ämne: Gothenburg - Edward Johnson DOE

Gothenburg - Edward Johnson DOE

Can anyone help me find out why an Englishman and his family were in Gothenburg in 1859 - 1861? John Hall DOE and his wife, Eliza, nee PEARSON together with their baby son, Edward, seem to have been in Gothenberg at this time and it is likely that Edward was born there as I can find no record of his birth in England. I do have evidence that connects them to the city from The Times of London newspaper for 24 May 1860 in which the death of Edward is recorded "On the 17th May at Gothenburg, Edward Johnson, aged 8 months, only child of John Hall Doe" Edward may have been named 'Edward Johnson' in the Swedish tradition so perhaps his birth in August/September 1859 or death in May 1860 may be under the name Johanesson rather than DOE, his English surname. I am mainly interested in finding out why the family was in Gothenburg so I am hoping any records may include father's occupation or other details. The family is not part of my own family; I am doing research for a history project. Many thanks in anticipation.

Phryxes avatar
    C-G Magnusson
    Medlemsnr
    Source: Göteborgs engelska F:1 (1845-1897) sid 21 (AID: v69377.b16.s21, NAD: SE/GLA/19105)
    Bifogade bilder Bifogade bilder

Phryxes avatar
    C-G Magnusson
    Medlemsnr
    Source: Göteborgs engelska C:7 (1845-1897) sid 27 (AID: v69375.b21.s27, NAD: SE/GLA/19105)
    Bifogade bilder Bifogade bilder

Many thanks for both the records - that's fantastic and I appreciate your help. Can you point me towards any other resources that might give further information about the British community in Goteborg at that time? In particular I am wondering why he was there.

Phryxes avatar
    C-G Magnusson
    Medlemsnr
    I used the digitized sources that are avaiable from Arkiv Digital. I checked the church records where I though I might find the family, but didn't find anything other than the above from the english parish in Gothenburg. Unfortunately this parish lacks household examination rolls. There are also tax records (mantalslängder), but I didn't find the persons in the index. I might have missed them. The son was buried in Örgryte. Maybe that is a clue ...

Much appreciated - many thanks!

Behörigheter för att posta

• Du får inte posta nya ämnen
  • Du får inte posta svar
  • Du får inte posta bifogade filer
  • Du får inte redigera dina inlägg
  •